This role is responsible for analyzing request for proposals, project plans and specifications to determine the overall estimated cost of a project from pre-construction through to construction execution.
- Prepare estimates with the necessary level of detail for all design stages – Program/Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimated costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract from simple to complex. Prepare quantity take-offs and estimates in detail for self-performed work
- Evaluate labor pricing/production for specific projects and/or locations; demonstrate proficiency in material, labor, sub and equipment pricing for all trade disciplines. Build up the price for items utilizing basic principles
- Prepare Estimate Action List; establish responsibilities and make assignments to estimating team members; coordinate and supervise work; establish schedule for completion of tasks to meet project requirements
- Collaborate with pre-construction Design Manager to ensure alignment with delivery of company objectives during the tender period for timely production of design information from various disciplines
- Development of master schedules including material and manpower availability, local ordinances and site conditions
- Responsible for the accuracy of the estimate.
- Review drawings, specifications and all other construction documents, ensure team aware of potential risks to minimize cost overruns, delays and errors
- Prepare construction schedule for estimating purposes, evaluate staff requirements, plant and logistics plan.
- Responsible for preparing preliminary, schematic, design development, and construction estimates and studies during pre-construction, monitor design development cost trends in order to detect over-runs and potential problem areas. Participate in the value engineering process
- Support Business Development & Marketing in proposal presentations, aids in building client relationships
- Maintain current all estimating cost database, studies, unit prices, etc.
- Evaluate and analyze subcontractor proposals, including technical submissions such as mechanical, electrical and technical trades
- Provide direction, development and leadership to team members
- Support and contribute to organisation effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or related field
- Over five (5) years experience as an Estimator within construction
- A minimum of ten (10) years experience in the construction industry including any combination of estimating, project planning, engineering related activities
- Coordinate activities between departments to ensure delivery of required activities as per schedule
- Demonstrated focus on HSE
- Experience working with computerized systems including the use of database and spreadsheet applications
- Proven ability to proactively deliver against set objectives particularly in a time driven environment
- Detailed knowledge and experience working with construction technology is desired